Hydroxyapatite is being increasingly used as a multifunctional active ingredient in preventive oral care health care. Due to its high similarity to human enamel crystallites, it is considered as a biomimetic agent. Recent studies have shown hydroxyapatite’s efficacy in cavity protection, enamel remineralization, improvement of gingival health, and reduction of dentin hypersensitivity.
Unlike fluorides, the unintentional swallowing of hydroxyapatite as a toothpaste ingredient is not associated with any relevant systemic health risks such as fluorosis for children, as hydroxyapatite is the main inorganic component of all human hard tissues, like teeth and bones.
This presentation will give an overview of the use of hydroxyapatite in preventive oral health care:
• Background information: Dental caries and dental fluorosis in children
• Hydroxyapatite as a biomimetic active ingredient
• Advantages of hydroxyapatite compared to other active ingredients used in oral care
• Overview of scientific studies showing the efficacy of hydroxyapatite
• Introducing Kinder-Karex toothpaste for children